The United Nations has set aside a global holiday called World Refugee Day to honor all refugees. Every year on June 20, this holiday honors the fortitude and bravery of those who have had to leave their own country because of war or persecution. In order for refugees to not only survive, but also thrive, political will and resources are mobilized through the World Refugee Day campaign, which sheds focus on the rights, needs, and dreams of refugees.
Even though it is crucial to safeguard and enhance the lives of refugees every single day, global awareness of their predicament is raised on international days like World Refugee Day. On World Refugee Day, numerous events offer opportunity to help refugees.
Also Check: World Music Day
History of World Refugee Day
The international community has spent the day considering how to better the lives of refugees ever since the United Nations General Assembly established the holiday in 2000. Most of us are aware that refugees are compelled to from their countries because of war, terrorism, or other crises; yet, leaving one’s nation is frequently only the start of a challenging journey. Until they are resettled, many refugees end up living in camps, some of which are hazardous or unfit for long-term habitation.
The bureaucratic process of finding a new home for refugees can take years, and they frequently have no say in the country they are finally transported to. Since global refugee issues have dominated the news in recent years, it is now more crucial than ever to show solidarity and observe World Refugee Day.
World Refugee Day Activities
On World Refugee Day, the UN intends to hold live online discussions about the global refugee crisis, future objectives related to the subject, and ways to make a difference. Watch out for recaps of the events’ proceedings or try to attend if you can.
Speak with the local refugees. If they need a place to stay, think about asking them over for supper or to stay a few nights in your guest room. So that they can more easily come to know their new neighborhood, introduce them to your neighborhood’s inhabitants. Being a friend can have a profoundly positive effect on someone’s life, and offering assistance to the neighborhood can be quite beneficial.
Whatever you do for a livelihood, there’s a decent possibility that you can utilize your professional skills to make other people’s lives better. Donate your professional skills to nearby refugee organizations. The UN stated its hope that every refugee would soon have access to education, a secure place to live, and opportunities to work and support their communities. You probably possess a talent or skill that can aid in achieving one of those objectives. You might also think about recruiting nearby refugees who are looking for work if you run a business or are in charge of hiring.
Why Celebrate World Refugee Day?
It can be challenging to comprehend the scope of the global refugee crisis, but spreading awareness can make it simpler for others to comprehend the depth of what refugees all around the world are experiencing. Additionally, it fosters an attitude of understanding and compassion that unites individuals from many backgrounds, which is always a good thing.
Fewer individuals would be forced to leave their homes as a result of violence and instability in a more tranquil society. Naturally, this would result in a considerable reduction in suffering on a global scale. Though achieving better peace won’t happen immediately, it is a worthwhile objective, and World Refugee Day serves as a reminder of just how crucial it is.
In the face of such a significant global catastrophe, it’s simple to feel helpless, but even tiny actions can make a difference. World Refugee Day inspires all of us to consider innovative ways that we may provide assistance. Additionally, it inspires everyone who observes the holiday to be better neighbors to refugees residing in their neighborhoods and more understanding global citizens in general.
Wishes, Messages and Quotes
- Refugees are typical individuals, just like you and I. On World Refugee Day, let’s honor them as a member of our community.
- Combatants are refugees. They have endured rape, assassination, and genocide. They are a group of individuals that are constantly engaged in conflict. The celebration of World Refugee Day honors people who have fled persecution.
- Awful living circumstances exist for refugees. They depend entirely on others for their food and shelter. We can learn about the refugees’ battle for food and survival thanks to World Refugee Day.
- Since nobody ever leaves their home voluntarily, the world has forced them to leave. Happy International Refugee Day.
- Because the refugees had to flee their homes in order to survive, we should show them kindness. Happy World Refugee Day, everyone!
- The migrants and refugees have endured a lot, and they are deserving of our charity and kindness. Enjoy World Refugee Day with awareness!
- Refugees and migrants are also people, and we should not treat them cruelly. Enjoy World Refugee Day with awareness!
- This day serves as a reminder that many others have it worse off than we do, and we should help and support them. Happy International Refugee Day!
- Even on the worst days, when we return home at the end of the day, we feel at peace, but these unhappy folks have been without homes for so long. Happy World Refugee Day, everyone, and be kind to one another!